My name is Miguel A. Buitrago. Welcome to my blog. If you want to know more about me visit my personal website. Thank you! Happy readings!!!

January 05, 2006

Final Results Bolivian Elections December 2005

MABB © ®



Just to have a record of the official results of the elections. Above you can see the results for the presidential and congressional elections. These are without a doubt historical results. No party or president has governed, in recent times, with an absolut majority in the lower chamber. I am no fan of Morales, but I am impressed of the results.

Below you have the other significant results. For the first time in history (as far as I know) departmental prefects were directly elected by the people. Up until now, they had been appointed by the president in office. This has done a great deal for the advancement of the descentralization process in Bolivia and for the Bolivian democratic evolution.


3 comments:

mcentellas said...

I'm holding my breath on prefects for a while. Their being elected is good ... but I wish that there was a representative/elected regional assembly to check them (not just mayors below or the central government above, but an entity horizontally equal). I'll also wait to see what happens if/when prefects clash w/ Evo's government. Since, constitutionally, he could just fire them & appoint new prefects. Would Evo do that? Who knows.

At least, I'd have liked to see the prefecture be a three-person post, w/ the three most voted candidates getting a seat & decisions requiring a 2-1 vote. I'm worried about unchecked power for an entire region vested in a single person.

MABB said...

You are right. Next thing I am waiting for is the Constituent Assembly. There it should be defined how will the prefects work and what kind of powers and responsibilities they'll have. I am guessing there they will also create some kind of balance to the prefect's powers.

However, before all that happens, I am nervous to see who gets picked to the assembly. I have a bad feeling that Morales, in a very Chavesque manner, will fill that assembly with his people. Let's not forget that is how Chavez started.

As you may have noticed. I am very afraid Morales follows Chavez's steps. Chavez is just too close to Evo for my liking. Providing airplanes and security? hm!

Usuarios AnĂ³nimos de Laura Palmer said...

xzdg