August 24, 2005

People Who Give America a Bad Name

MABB © ®
I would probably would read this story on my feeder and then click on to the next one. However, these incredibly dumb comments by Pat Robertson are just too dumb to click away. Something's got to be said.

Pat Robertson (I am assuming everyone knows who this character is, if not, check this, this, this, and this out. You'll get the idea), has recently made the most feebleminded, foolish, moronic, numskulled, simple-minded comments about Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez. On Monday this week on his "700 Club" television program, Robertson said
"If he (Chavez) thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it... This is a dangerous enemy to our south controlling a huge pool of oil."
He also said killing Chavez
"would stop Venezuela from becoming a launching pad for communist influence and Muslim extremism."
And as if that was not enough, he added
"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability... We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator."
Now, don't get me wrong. I am no Chavez fan. In fact I consider myself an opponent of Chavez's plans for Latin America. My complains are with the comments and the impact they have on America's image around the world. My first thought is, does America really need this kind of discrediting propaganda? I think, people like Robertson give America a bad name. His comments don't only show a lack of understanding of the world outside the US, but a simple lack of respect for anyone who hears them. Anyone who has lived through September 11th.

The guy is jut the biggest moron, period.

The US government, which has an almost blinded support from Robertson's followers (I think in the order of nine out of ten), has been keen on distancing itself from Robertson and his views. However, it has stopped well short from strongly condemming the comments.

The Venezuelan government, of course wanted a stronger statement from the Bush administration and they are asking for assurances in regards to Chavez's safety when he travels to New York next month for a special session of the U.N. General Assembly.

All in all, I think Robertson's comments have a negative effect on America's image around the world. An image all expat-americans (including myself) are trying hard to improve.

Further reading here and here.

Update: I found a very good article in the Washington Post and the related Church Committe's report.