June 20, 2005

Small Milestone

MABB © ®

Just wanted to share this piece of news with all readers. MABB just surpassed a small milestone in its short life. On the early hours of June 20, 2005, MABB got its visitor number 10,000 since its birth back in September 2003.

While I am not sure what it "really" means, I am sure that MABB is bringing needed information about Bolivia in the Internet and increasing Bolivia's presence in cyberspace. Before I started blogging, I used to search for some kind of information, other than adventure tourism, about Bolivia. It was a bit frustrating because there was not much info about it.

In the last few years, information has been increasing, I think at the same rate as technological infrastructure has been built in Bolivia. Nonetheless, there is still a lot of work to do. From all the info in English I find about Bolivia, at least half of it, if not more (just guessing), emanates from outside Bolivia. I hope this will change in the future.

One encouraging sign is the amount of blogs from people living in Bolivia that are being created. Especially, the MSN members space feature is becoming particularly popular in Santa Cruz. Many others have found their way to Blogger and others have found Spanish speaking platform providers like Blogalia.

One other thing to highlight is the Bolivian Government's use of information technology to bring modern services such as e-government and most of all, transparency to their administrative tasks.

One last thing to call attention to is the way in which non-governmental organizations are taking advantage of information technology to organize themselves, call attention to their causes, even get some finincing and further their agendas. Bolivian NGOs are, I would say, benefiting the most from access to information.

Lastly, there is one thing in my wish list I hope happens. That is the private sector fully embracing the advantages of information technologies in the form of company websites where they, not only, can have instant access to a global audience, but also to improve their corporate and investors relations practices. This can only bring positive developments for Bolivia's companies, in the sense that investors want a high degree of transparency in order to invest or do business with Bolivian firms. This is specially true for Bolivian firms.

Well, I did not mean to make this post that long, but I thought that was important to say.

I hope MABB continues to be visited by people interested in getting amateur but qualified information and opinion about Bolivia's economic, political and social life. Bolivia is an interesting place to observe and MABB (that is I) will continue to observe it.

Thanks for visiting and keep coming back!