June 19, 2005

Legislators in Bolivia: Are They Clueless?

MABB © ®
The legislators serving their current terms in parliament, yes the same ones people want to fire because of their inability to deal with Bolivia's problems, want to be compensated for quiting their lucrative jobs.

It seems incomprehensive to me that 157 Bolivian legislators want to be compensated if they are forced to leave their jobs. Never mind the 126 million dollars it would cost, how about the fact that they have been completely unable to deal with the crisis currently affecting the county. Besides, they were many times about to be violently forced out of Congress by protestors. Also, the Bolivian population has entirely (may be a bit strong) lost trust in their representatives. It just doesn't make any sense to me. If I were a legislator, I would voluntarily leave, because it is clear I did not do my job well.

And yes, It may be a bit harsh judgement on them, because of the complexity of the situation and the many factors playing. Then again, if congressmen are not held to a higher standard, what then? They have to be able to deal with crises. If they don't do their job, then is chaos.

My point is, before I go on rambling about congressmen's duties, it makes no sense for them to ask for money they haven't earned yet. Especially, in a country where money is tight, like Bolivia.

No comments: